You are probably used to the idea of going to the dentist for a check-up. We instead recommend our patients book a regular maintenance appointment. Ongoing maintenance of your teeth and gums is a team effort. We will work together with you to keep your mouth healthy.
Your dentist will certainly check for any problems with your teeth and gums. However we also actively maintain your teeth and gums to rectify any minor problems before they become bigger issues requiring complex care.
You can expect us to:
- Review your medical and dental history and current medications to be aware of anything which may affect (or be caused by) your dental health.
Did you know poor oral health can lead to other health problems?
- Complete a full examination of your teeth and gums to look for decay, gum disease, oral cancer and other irregularities. If we need to we may also take X-rays to ensure all is well with the parts of your teeth we can’t see.
- Perform a thorough clean to remove built up sticky plaque or tartar from your teeth and around the gum line. This is important to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
Even if you are brushing well, your teeth still need a regular professional dentist clean.
- A final polish will leave your teeth smooth and shiny
- Fluoride is also often applied to strengthen your teeth
- We will also give you some useful advice on looking after your teeth and gums at home.
If we do find problems requiring further treatment, your dentist will explain the possible options available to you with pros and cons so you can make the best choice for you. We will also tell you if we recommend urgent treatment or a follow up appointment at a later date.
Have you ever noticed bleeding gums when you brush or floss?
You are not alone, but it is not something to ignore.
Healthy gums do not bleed. Bleeding or swollen gums are a sign of gingivitis or gum disease. You may not feel any pain but it can damage the jaw bone securing your teeth in place and also cause bacteria to enter your blood stream.
Did you know gum disease is a common cause of tooth loss? Please come and see us for treatment if you have any concerns.Make an appointment now and start actively maintaining your teeth.