Teeth whitening is the easiest and least invasive things that can be done to improve your smile. A whiter smile is sure to improve your self esteem. The best thing about teeth whitening is that you get to choose how white you want your teeth to be. There are two ways to have your teeth whitened- In Surgery Whitening or At Home Whitening.
In Surgery Whitening
This procedure involves:
- The patient having their gums covered with a protective coating whilst the teeth are painted with a high concentration (35%) peroxide gel.
- The teeth are then illuminated with a high intensity light for 45-60 minutes.
- At the end of the procedure, the patient is given an At Home Whitening kit to use as a ‘top up’ as needed.
The advantage of this procedure is that the results are quick. The disadvantages are the cost and the relative risk. Typically this procedure cost approximately $800- $1000. The risk is that if any of the high concentration peroxide touches the gums, it will burn them. The procedure can also cause the teeth to be very sensitive. There is also some controversy as to how well it works.
At Home Whitening
In this procedure:
The dentist takes moulds of the top and bottom teeth and creates custom fitted very thin mouthguards that cover only the teeth. The patient then takes home the whitening kit which consists of the custom mouthguards and a low concentration (6-8%) whitening gel. The procedure is as follows-
- The patient brushes and flosses their teeth an hour prior to retiring for bed.
- A very small amount (the dentist will show you how much) of gel is then placed into each of the teeth in the custom mouthguard.
- The mouthguard is then positioned over the teeth.
- The mouthguard can then be worn for an hour or overnight depending on whether there is any sensitivity
- At Centre Street Dental, we recommend that the patient whitens their top teeth first. – This allows the patient to properly assess how white they would like their teeth to be by contrasting the colour of the top teeth to the bottom teeth. Once the patient is happy with the colour of the top teeth, they can then repeat the procedure for the bottom teeth.
The advantage of this method is the cost and the safety. The low concentration of the gel means that there is no chance of damage to the gums.
- At Centre Street Dental, the fee for this procedure is $400. The only disadvantage is that it can take 2-4 weeks to complete the process. However, after weighing the relative risks, we have decided to only offer the At Home Whitening. The results are good and the patient has more control over the end result.
If you are interested in teeth whitening, call Centre Street Dental for an appointment.